Videos relating to teaching by the Smithsonian.
Letting students be creative takes time!
If you are looking for motivation here it is!!!
“Public education is a foundation of democracy so an attack on education is an attack on democracy.”
Link to video: http://billmoyers.com/episode/public-schools-for-sale/
- There are more than 6,000 charter schools
- Publicly funded, privately run
- K-12 pulls in more than 5 billion dollars in taxes a year
- Private buying in public education made many change their minds about charter schools
- Minimum 500 billion a year in the market when it comes to education many see education as an industry (textbook publishers…)
- For profit charter schools exist
- Race to the Top made states have to open up to charter schools
- Charter funds are mostly politically motivated
- Public sector pensions are important
- Attempts to make charter districts with zero public schools: making public schools dumping grounds
- Parents feel public schools have disappointed yet contrary to myth public schools are not failing it is poverty which plagues public schools
- Community makes the public school
- We should not send children into the hands of entrepreneurs
- Charter schools were meant to collaborate and help dropouts but instead they are competitors
- Charter schools don’t take disability, English language learners, or behavioral problem children, they have ways to weed them out
- Virtual charters exist, lack a physical school: K12 online
- K12 is listed on New York Stock Exchange
- Charter schools are private corporations not public schools
- In many states charter schools do not hire certified teachers
- Charter schools should seek out low level students not high level as their intended purpose
- Entrepreneurs know nothing about education, the highest performing nations do not have charter schools
- Aim for equity and you will get excellence
- ALEC is interested in eliminating public education, due process for teachers, teachers to be judged by test scores….
- ALEC wants free flowing money in the economy even avoiding auditing of charter schools
- Democratic party lacks the ability to say no to charter school influence/pressure
- Billionaires pick on teachers having never been to public school and having never sent their own children to public school
- Parent groups are attempting to fight charter schools, they are not willing to sell their children to corporations
- Charter and voucher schools do not out perform public schools
- Has caused man teachers to leave the profession because evaluation based on testing: specifically disabled kids and gifted because improvements are not enough
- Hopefully democracy will win out over big money
A short video link dealing with leadership. Something great to show a class and/or share with co-workers. Combines humor with an important topic!!!
For class I was required to create a digital story, this was no easy feat but I think that with access to the right tools and a designated topic you could easily have students in groups create digital stories. Digital Storytelling is the practice of using computer-based tools to tell a story. Digital stories can contain images, text, audio and even video.
Resource to guide and help with digital storytelling:
Resources I used in my video:
Noncopyrighted photos and videos from https://videos.pexels.com/ and https://www.pexels.com/
I created this video using Filmora: http://filmora.wondershare.com/
This is a powerful video that puts schools on trial. Please watch!!